Print Page | Contact Us | Sign In | Join Now
Contact Congress
Share |

Public Health Service officers should contact their Representative and Senators on any issue they choose.  COA recommends officers contact their Members of Congress on personal time and not while using US Government resources. Below are tips on how to contact them and what to say or write.


Click here to find your Representative.         Click here to find your Senators.


Calling Congress

You can use the links above to find phone number. You can also call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask for your Senator's or Representative’s office. A staff member will pick up the phone. Ask to speak with the aide who handles the issues about which you wish to comment.

Identify yourself and mention you would like to leave a brief comment, such as: “Please tell Senator/Representative (Name) that I support/oppose (S.__/H.R.__) because (state your reason).” Ask for the Senator or Representative’s position on the bill.

Writing Congress

Letters are a popular and effective way to communicate with a congressional office. Include your purpose for writing, including the specific bill or issue. Be courteous and brief. Include examples to support your position. Address only one issue in each letter and keep the letter to one page, if possible.

To a Senator 
The Honorable (full name)
United States Senate
Washington, DC 20510

Dear Senator: 
To a Representative 
The Honorable (full name)
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Representative: 
Address the Chair of a Committee or the Speaker of the House as: 
Dear Mr. Chairman or Madam Chairwoman:
Dear Madam Speaker or Mr. Speaker: